Saturday, May 24, 2014

Starting Seven and Other Torture March 31st, 2014

My small group has decided to tackle 7 as our study book for the next 7 months. Each month we will be fasting in one area of our lives. This may look different month to month and family to family, but the basic gist is to learn to appreciate what we have, identify excess that may be keeping us from a fulfilled life with Jesus, and using our resources to help others.

Month one, to my utter sadness, is  food. Seven foods for a month. 

My seven are:
Whole wheat bread
Peas
Sweet Potatoes
Oranges
Turkey
Eggs
Nuts (technically I should pick one nut, but I'm eating 7 foods people, I think the sacrifice is enough)

Here are some musings on day 1:

Day one.....day, stinkin' one. I have 27 more days of this!!! I sniffed the mayo jar tonight. I'm not proud. I mean when the author of 7 said she sniffed the coffee beans, I thought she was weird. But she is completely sane compared to me. I sniffed MAYO, people. I mean, to put it in context, I was about to have my dry turkey burger, on my dry and very hearty whole wheat roll (not bun, that was my first mistake). The mayo would have softened the roll a little. Add some ketchup, lettuce, pickle, onion...now we're cooking! But I just had turkey. And chewy bread. I can't count the number of times I hit myself in the sternum to get the bite of bread/turkey jerky to continue it's path to my stomach. It's like the food was fighting back against being eaten.
Deep breaths and prayers of gratitude that I have a full meal to sit down to every day, three times a day. I also made sweet potato fries. I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't had any sugar all day but they were GOOD. Best sweet potato fries I've ever eaten.
Oh, and I should confess now that I did have some sugar today. One of my migraine meds gives me terrible dry mouth. I usually chew gum or suck on a hard candy. I was in the middle of a green lifesaver when it hit me....LIFESAVERS ARE NOT IN MY 7. I guess I'll just have to ask for forgiveness on that one. Because, I am not, no way, no how, restarting tomorrow. One day down, 27 to go.

Oh, and I hate selfies. That's a whole other post. I'm not hating on you selfie lovers. I hate selfies of this self. I mean selfies of me. I just haven't mastered the glamorous posing and the long arm reach. But here's a selfie anyways, since this shirt pretty much sums up my sentiments for the next 27 days. You have to read backwards, but I'm *pretty* sure you can handle it.


Thanks to http://behindthemouse.com/let-it-go-running-shirt/ for this awesome top, btw!!

No comments:

Post a Comment