Sunday, May 4, 2014

A Big Top Birthday March 15, 2014

What a day!! Our normal Saturday's are crazy enough, but by the end of today I was ready for an extra 8 hours of sleep.

Today was the BIG day of course, and I was feeling pretty good. I had most of the work done, and while Mike took Olivia to march in the St Patrick's Day parade I was going to finish up the last few things on the list.

I woke up nice and early when Clara bounded into the room completely dressed in her dance outfit. Oops...I kind of forgot about dance class, and hadn't really factored that time into my schedule. Obviously, Clara was ready for class, and I wanted to take her commitment seriously, so I took the 5 minutes of work I could do in the car and drove her to dance. I made my last 6 cotton candy cones and then sat and read a book. Honestly, it felt pretty decadent, to be sitting and reading with my daughter's birthday only hours away. I knew I would pay for it later, but I savored the moment.

After dance we headed home and I frantically got to work prepping veggies, stuffing cotton candy cones, ironing, just general chaos before a party. I had talked to the zoo and we had 30 minutes to set up, and I had plotted that time for both Mike and I, with job assignments, table charts, the whole shebang. I told Mike I wanted to arrive at the zoo by 1:20, so when 1:30 came we could storm in like Normandy and get my 101 decorations in place.

We drove separately due to the sheer mass of the party items, and we were about 10 minutes from home when I realized I had left my party set up and party flow plans behind!!! I am not a flexible, think on my feet person. I am a planner, through and through. I called Mike in a panic and he turned around since my car was full of the party items. I got to the zoo and started carrying everything to the gate, staging it.

Kelly, the zoo liason came out and helped me carry in the bins and boxes, and I tried to set as much up by memory as possible. Once Mike arrived we ran around like crazy people (okay, that could have just been me). Our friends Tabi & Erin came early and they pitched in to help (friends are BLESSINGS, enough said!).

The party pretty much flew by, and by the end I had some happy and worn out kids (and parents) to send home. Below are some of my favorite photos from the day.



Who needs a half hour when you have great friends? Erin got more set up with one arm then most can do all day ;)

 Me, frantic, as usual




The birthday girl :)


Olivia clowning around


Games, food, and friends!








May all your wishes come true



Elsa!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment