Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Post Seven Sunday April 27th, 2014

We officially ended 7 yesterday, which meant this morning I could eat anything I wanted. Ironically, I stuck with my7 approved foods as I had an early morning run and didn't want to upset my stomach. I definitely have some feelings to share about month one, but that will have to wait for another day, because so much awesomeness happened today that I prefer to share that. We'll wait for a slow news day in the Evans household to report on 7 (hello Wednesday!).

I had my first 5K of the season this morning. Last year I trained like a crazy woman, but I've been more relaxed this year. Not sure why but figured I would go out and do my best. I had a goal of 24 minutes, which is crazy town if you consider my best 5k when I was in peak training last year was 26.20+, but whatever, a girl has to have something to strive for.

Mike & the girls dropped me off, because it was a cold, windy morning. I turned in my waiver and went to sit in a building with Maggi my run buddy (and all around regular buddy too!). We headed out to the start about 10 minutes prior to the race, waited about a bit, and were off! I was a little off guard because I was waiting for the prayer, but they must have done it before we came out.

Every time I run a race event, I go out too fast. Doesn't matter what I tell my body, it just gets caught up in the adrenaline and I fly. My first mile time was about 7:30, and I felt pretty good. I thought the whole 24 minute 5k was a possibility. Mile 2 I started to feel a little tired, but there was a guy right next to me on the path around the lake, and he and I were neck and neck. He kept me going and on pace, so thanks older guy in the red shirt!

The last mile was against the wind, and I thought I was going to die. Just flop on the ground and let the pack go by until my lungs stopped burning. It was a measure of my desperation that I stopped and grabbed water at the last water station. I mean, water during a 5k? But I needed that 5 second break.

I continued on with the finish in site. A few people passed me, including a woman, and I thought, "let them pass me. As long as I finish upright I'm a winner, right?" It was just about then that I heard the cheering. My lovely family had come back in the freezing cold to watch me finish. I did NOT expect them there, but seeing them gave me a burst of energy and determination. I sprinted to the finish line, passing the lady who had passed me along with a few other runners.

After the race I hurt everywhere. My teeth were in extreme pain. My teeth people!! No idea if it was from the cold or the gum I had in for my dry mouth. As I recovered I watched Maggi saunter over the finish line. She looked great, like she was a run wear model and hadn't just finished a fast 5k.

We went back into the building to wait for awards and prize drawings. We headed back out at 11, and they were explaining that the top 5 overall got medals, top 5 in age got ribbons, and top finishers got glasses. I was joking with Maggi asking if I could drink out of her glass when my name was called. Typical me not paying attention.

I thought maybe they meant another Ashley Evans (there are A LOT of us, okay?) but no one else went up and to my surprise I was the 5th overall female for the entire race. It was my first overall top 5, and a new PR (although NOT 24 minutes). The cool thing is if not for my family there cheering me on, I would have let the chick in the black pants (I know, we ALL wear black pants, but you know who I mean) beat me, and I wouldn't have gotten a medal. I made sure to tell my kiddos exactly how important their support was, and to thank Mike for making being at my finish lines a priority.


I also won a raffle prize which was this super cool giant duffle. The girls enjoyed playing in it before I put it away. After the race we went to The American Pancake House (not to be confused with IHOP *shudder*) and then went home and relaxed. This afternoon Olivia and I went on another C25K run. I think she was motivated to see the other kids at the race today :)

Here are my kids being goofy on the lawn (I think they were drunk on sunshine!)








No comments:

Post a Comment