Friday, January 3, 2014

365 Day 3

It's January, and it's cold. Those that I grew up with in the desert of Tucson may think that they know cold. I know I did. Then I moved to this place and found out the true meaning of winter. This is cold. The kind of cold that makes you invest in ski hats, hot cocoa, and wool everything. Because wool's only itchy when it's warm. When it's cold, wool is a gift from Heaven. 

We're lucky to be experiencing a once every 30 year cold snap. The car thermometer said -6 when we were driving. By the time I stopped it was up to a balmy -3. Of course that's nothing compared to what we're in for next week. We'll see. I'm sure if we get the temps they're calling for it will make it's way into the 365.

So what are midwestern girls to do when it's too cold outside to do anything but huddle in your jacket as you sprint from the car to the door? We ice skate, of course! At least the rink's indoors. Olivia's first time on the ice, so now we can cross that off the bucket list. She used the little walker for most of the session, but she went one exhilarating lap without it. You can see her in the photo in her pink coat. I broke my record by not falling once. I've ice skated two other times in my life and I hated it, with a passion, because I ended up cold, wet, and bruised. Don't know what changed but I escaped unscathed, and now I want to go back and bring Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment