Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ahhhh...fall. Maybe I love it so much because it doesn't exist in the desert. Yep, they skip right from blazing hot summer to slightly less blazing hot Christmas. I mean, I have more Christmas memories that involve a turkey on a grill and shorts then I do any recollections of snow. But I digress....

Fall in the South Bend area is a magical time. Where else can a whole populous of normally sane people collectively lose their minds pursing a college football team? Some of you out there are saying to yourself, "yes, I know exactly what she's talking about, happens in college towns all over this fine nation." But guess what? You're wrong! I'm not being a jerk, just stating a fact. EVERYONE here is insane for Notre Dame. Even people who don't like sports find themselves reading the sports page and following recruiting sagas.

Case in point, me. Before I moved here I hated Notre Dame. The little leprachaun guy? Come on people! He looks so mad. There's a whole fed-ex or UPS commercial that deals with his attitude and unapproachability. I came to South Bend and my wonderful husband got student tickets to the football games. I went, and whined. I didn't like standing for 4 hours, I was cold, I was hungry, I wanted to go home and study, blah blah blah.

Slowly, slowly, the Notre Dame magic started to work on me. Sure, the Notre Dame logo's scary, but the actual leprachaun doing flips on the field, adorable! Yes, the concessions are overpriced, but if you leave too early you miss the puns about driving safe by Officer McCartny. It may be so cold you can't feel your feet, but they'll wake up on the mile long walk back to your free parking.

Notre Dame football isn't the only fall event to look forward to. There's the pumpkin patches, fall festivals, apple orchards, and fish frys. You could spend your September and October weekends going from event to event and never do everything. Today my neighborhood had their fall festival. We took the girls and Olivia decorated a pumpkin, got her face painted and rode on a wagon. Come on, that just screams fun! The weather was beautiful, high 60's low 70's, and the bees weren't too agressive. You all know I like being indoors, but I'm thinking of making an exception for fall.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment