Wednesday, December 14, 2011

You got WHAT in the mail?


Oh Heaven! Guess what I just got in the mail? My annual shipment of lefse. Most people look at me like I have two heads when I tell them I love lefse, but it's just obvious to me they were neglected as children. Well that, or maybe they don't come from a Norwegian heritage. I'm leaning more towards the first though.

My background is about 50/50 German and Norwegian. My family loves to eat, but a lot of the "traditional" foods I love other people won't even taste. Or taste once, and then never again! Lefse is NOT one of those foods. It's actually a delicious tortilla like flat bread, but  it's made with potatoes instead of flour. Once it's done you can use it in a sandwich type roll, but our favorite method of serving it is spreading it with butter and sprinkling sugar on it. 

Making lefse is a long process, it takes many days and a kitchen full of special equipment. I think I was the only one on my street who's mom had a ridged rolling pin as standard equipment in her kitchen. As a child, we had lefse only at major holiday dinners.  Think Thanksgiving, Christmas, and maybe if we were lucky, Easter. 

I sadly never made lefse with my mom, so I have no idea how to do it. I do however know how to internet shop, so I put those skills to work 3 years ago when I had a 2 year old daughter who I just had to share lefse with. I scoured the internet, and chose the vendor I thought looked the closest to my family lefse. I ordered, it arrived, and the box smelled amazing. (Thanks Freddy's Lefse!). Ever since I order 3 packs for the holidays. Lefse freezes well so I put two packs away and save it for company. Because this time, you won't turn your nose up at my traditional food. Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment