Wednesday, January 7, 2015

5 January 2015

I've had a lot of friends in my life. I've gone through stages of bigger is better (aka, how many Facebook friends do YOU have?). I've gone through periods where I worked so hard to change myself, mold myself into someone that other people thought I should be. I've given up on dreams, doubted my abilities, and let other people dictate my worth.
 
As I grow older, I have a tiny piece of the wisdom that I hope to have in another 10, 20, 30, or 40 years. I've learned friends are like a fine wine, they take time to develop to their full potential, you always look forward to seeing them, and time spent in their presence leaves you feeling happier, warmer, and better about your life and the world you live in. Friends support each other. They are each other's cheerleaders, and when a friend stumbles a true friend stops, turns around, and offers a hand up.
 
I am blessed to have been sent true friends in all stages of my life. From Edna & Michelle, to Sarah & Julie, to Candace & Erin, to Sarah (again ;)), Maggi, Kathy, and more. At this point in my life I want to grow the true friendships. I want to get to know Christina & Deann more. I want to walk alongside Beth & Vanessa. I want to get to know my best friend, Michael, even better than I do today. To all the people who are special in my life, even if you don't see your name, thank you. Thank you for being authentic & vulnerable. For giving a piece of yourself to me, in the hopes that I would love you and not break you. Thank you for being patient with me as I do the same, sometimes reluctantly, but taking that chance in the end, the chance to open up and be opened up to.
 
And if you find yourself on the other end of that dark tunnel, looking down a rabbit hole of fear and doubt about being the true you. Close your eyes and walk inside. Yes, some people won't follow you in your journey. You will learn that the people who you thought were closest, are actually farthest away. But you will also find that others you may not have noticed have the capacity to love you more than you could imagine. You will find freedom in the joy of being...just being. You, authentically. You'll see that there are people in this world who love you just as you are, even if you're not exactly what they had imagined. Give them, and yourself, a chance. You'll be glad you did.
 
Here's a photo of two of my amazing friends at lunch today.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment